Carbon Footprinting and Life Cycle Assessment
Starts January 2018
This module will provide a theoretical and critical analysis of the practice and application of Carbon Footprinting (CF) and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) as key tools in assessing the environmental impacts.
Learning units will include:
- The role of GHGs in climate change – quantifying environmental impacts and defining the production-efficiency challenge
- An introduction to LCA and to CF – concepts, tools and databases
- LCA and CF system boundaries – goal and scope definition, inventory data compilation
- Upstream processes
- Allocation and consequential LCA
- Wider impact categories – life cycle impact assessment methods, water and biodiversity impacts
- Practical application of CF – interpretation, reporting, product labelling, informing management
Contributions from: Dr Dave Styles, Prof Dave Chadwick, Prof Jamie Newbold, Phil Humphrey NIAB TAG, Prof Mike Christie, Campbell Skinner.